Name:
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States

Friday, August 11, 2006

The shots heard 'round the orthopedic department

Things are going well here in the land of enchantment. Shawn has started work, (though he has been busy with "inprocessing" and hasn't gotten to lay a hand on real live patients yet), and Saxon and I are getting to know the lay of the land.
Saxon got enrolled in DEERS (the military dependent health program) and got his 4 month shots, all in one day. Hooray for military efficiency. He handled the shots much better than I did. I didn't realize that we would be able to get the vaccinations that quickly, so I had not brought his records nor had I premedicated him with tylenol. So, needless to say, he was not a happy camper at the hospital, and we spent the subsequent time meeting some of Shawn's co workers with a cranky baby and a tearful mom. I'm sure we made a terrific impression. Once we got home and I got him some tylenol, he promptly became cute angel baby again, but no one was around to see it. Here is a picture of him post immunization, sleeping off the tylenol under the fuzzy blanket his uncle Robert got him:

He had a bit of a fever the next day, but otherwise did quite well. He now has his first cold (perhaps from the vaccinations), and aside from the noisy breathing and coughing it doesn't seem to be slowing him down. However, I have to use the dreaded nasal aspirator a couple of times a day so the kid can eat, and he hates hates HATES the nasal aspirator. Even the dogs leave the room to escape the screaming. He's on the mend, though, and hopefully we can put it away for a while in the near future.

Other than that, not much else to report. Oh, except that I changed the blog to allow comments, so feel free to comment away, especially if it's about how uncommonly wonderful my kid is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home